My last post asked what will happen with people who have a disability and I got exactly what I expected no reads and no comments. That speaks volumes.
I a very short time I will have to take a dead-end job just to pay the bills because Not the governor of Colorado not any city I contacted here where I live care about creating any sort of transition plans or real sustainability, durability, resilience policy. It seems the state I live in could care less what happens after cheap energy is gone and that will happen soon.
A now former CEO of Shell just a few years ago predicted we will have $3 per gallon gasoline by 2010 and we did, and do. He also said to expect by 2015 the price to be $5 per gallon of gasoline. We are heading that way and I have no doubt we will reach it.
Former president Clinton said in more than one speech or interview that we were headed for Peak Oil soon. That was in 2006. He also gave a deadline of 2030 as the year we can expect to run out of oil. He may have let the cat out of the bag.
Here are some links. You decide for yourself.
At this point the U.S. is fu–ed. There isn’t enough time to do anything really so here are my suggestions:
- Get some land, even within a city.
- Reduce your consumption of energy by super insulating your home.
- Learn to grow food and save seeds from one year to the next.
- Connect with people near you, within walking distance, to barter and exchange whatever you need. This would include skills.
- Learn to grow fiber, process it and make cloths or whatever else you need. Also learn to grow dye plants.
- Grow some plants for easy fuel like sunflower for oil to burn in a lamp. Honey bees for honey and beeswax. Grow your own fuel.
That’s it people. The other option to fight and defend precious resources is not the answer because those who rely on war and violence will die at some point when they can’t steal anymore because the people who know how to grow food, fiber and fuel will live far enough away for violence to reach them.
The future will change dramatically and we are not prepared.